Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I began at the start of this academic year with a quote from a book which we were asked to read for our course over the summer, it was by Jimmy Carr, the comedian, on the analysis of jokes, comedy and its origin. The quote I chose was "A joke is anarchic, a little scrap of chaos from beyond the boundaries of the rational, a toe dipped in the shallow end of anti social behaviour." I chose this quote because I could easily see a connection to what has been happening within art in the past century and what this quote was saying about jokes and jesters, artists are always trying to step outside the boundaries that have been set before them and are and have been seen outside the rational, showing sides of anti-social behaviour. But instead of exploring this completely vast theme my tutor advised me that I narrow it down to just the word boundaries and to look into that, so I did. I began looking at all kinds of boundaries from personal to physical and became fascinated with the idea that some boundaries are just simple lines or just an invisible line, yet they have the same importance as a giant wall so to get me started I did this line down the middle of or studio, to physically half it and to see what happened from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive